Nervous system problems are really common nowadays. People face various problems and diseases that have serious effects. One of the most common diseases seen in people is epilepsy. Epilepsy is a brain disorder in which a person faces uncontrollable jerks and shaking. Furthermore, many other nervous problems leading to back pain have been reported.
Pharmacologists are working hard to design drugs for the betterment of humans. There are many pain-relieving drugs available on the market, including gabapentin. Gabapentin is prescribed by doctors to many patients, but is it completely beneficial?
Let us have a look at the details of this medicine and what its uses are. We will also consider the harmful effects and draw conclusions about this drug.
Also Like: Is It Safe to Exercise When Pregnant With a Breech Baby?
What is Gabapentin and Symptoms of Gabapentin?
Gabapentin is a drug that belongs to the class of anticonvulsants. Gabapentin belongs to the Gabapentinoids group and is also known as gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA). It is very good at treating neuropathy and restless leg syndrome.
It is also a painkiller and helps the patient relax under certain conditions. Anticonvulsants are antiepileptic drugs. The recommended doses usually include three times a day to the patients.
What is Gabapentin used for?
Gabapentin has good uses for various problems, as listed below.
- It is used to prevent or even control seizures. It is safe for adults and children who face such problems.
- Some people suffer from severe nerve or back pain. It is usually seen in patients with shingles. Thus, this medicine helps lessen the pain.
- It is also helpful to people who suffer from restless ss leg syndrome. They have a keen urge to move their legs. Thus, it can also be a good help to those people.
What is epilepsy?
Epilepsy is generally a Neurological disorder. In this condition, the brain behaves abnormally, followed by seizures and a loss of awareness. This usually happens when there is an excessive discharge of electrical impulses toward your brain. It is equally possible in males and females regardless of class, race, religion, or background.
How does Gabapentin treat epilepsy? What are The Symptoms of Gabapentin
Your brain commonly works in the presence of a normal nerve impulse rate. When electrical signals are triggered in the brain, it starts to work rapidly. This usually leads to jerks as it affects the body’s consciousness, sensations, and movements.
Doctors recommend Gabapentin to such patients. It has the ability to slow down the transfer of abnormal electrical impulses to the brain. This reduces the seizures and calms the patient down rapidly.
Does gabapentin relieve nerve pain?
Yes, gabapentin also has the specialty of relieving nerve pain. Normal painkillers cannot help you with such nerve problems. However, gabapentin can do it by reducing the signal transmission from the brain to the spinal cord.
Moreover, it takes a lot of work. This drug usually takes three to four weeks to reduce nerve pain. Taking the right dose according to the doctor’s advice is very important.
Is Gabapentin similar to opioids?
No, gabapentin is way more different than opioids. They are both pain relievers, but they serve different purposes. Both of the drugs are FDA proven, but for the following reasons.
- Gabapentin is specific for postherpetic neuralgia and seizures.
- Opioids are used for moderate pain treatment.
What is the physical form of Gabapentin?
This medicine is available in various forms, including tablets and capsules. Moreover, the liquid solution is also available on the market.
What are the brands offering gabapentin?
You can get this drug under various brand names, including
Is Gabapentin an addictive drug?
Yes, the frequent use of this medicine can make you addicted, but less than opioids. Every medicine has certain cons along with harmful effects. Thus, it would help if you used them under the complete supervision of your doctor.
What are the side effects Symptoms of Gabapentin
The common side effects usually include dizziness, headache, nausea, fever, and memory loss. However, some patients have side effects. Some of them are listed below.
- An allergic reaction leading to a skin rash and blisters is observed in different body parts. The patient may also have problems breathing normally.
- You may face depression and anxiety along with suicidal thoughts. Moreover, panic attacks and aggressive feelings may also over rush. Thus, you must contact the doctor about such mood changes.
- You may face some liver and kidney abnormalities. This is usually due to the long-term use of this drug. Your skin starts to turn pale with light-colored stool, followed by bleeding. However, you face blood in urine and swelling of hands in kidney problems.
- You may undergo severe fatigue conditions along with sudden weight loss.
What are the withdrawal symptoms of Gabapentin?
The withdrawal symptoms can be a little too much to handle. It most likely may lead to anxiety, bodily pain, confusion, diaphoresis, gastrointestinal distress, agitation, and palpitations. It can be hard to deal with this issue, but it is important as its consecutive use can be life-threatening.
How long do the withdrawal symptoms of gabapentin last?
It usually depends on how long the patient has been on this drug. In most cases, it usually takes from 12 hours to two weeks. The patient may experience all of the symptoms listed above for at least 10 days.